Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Fall Foliage flight to Old Forge, NY (NK26)

A week ago I was hiking in the High Peaks near Lake Placid. There, the trees were just starting to change. Since then, some cold nights have got the fall colors approaching their peak very fast.

An extra run for fuel put me a little behind getting the plane into the air and cut into my time around Old Forge a little. The flight up in smooth, clear air took just a few minutes over one hour at an easy cruise of 95 mph.


Passing Booneville the green forest began to change to more golden and red. I would guess that peak colors for this area will be within the next week or so.

Approaching Old Forge

Old Forge airport

My 1965 Cessna 150E at Old Forge

Turning from downwind to base leg as I was landing this area of the Moose River filled my windscreen. With the meandering river and cone shaped pine trees it looked like a magical spot for a paddle. After take-off I circled the area hanging out the window with my camera, but couldn't capture the look and feeling that  I had when I saw it while landing.

Just beyond Old Forge on the way to Inlet is a great little hike up Bald Mountain to a refurbished fire tower. It is not a long hike with only a couple steep areas to contend with, but the view from the tower of the Fulton Chain of lakes all the way to Blue Mountain is well worth the effort!

A zoomed in shot of hikers

Moss Lake just north of Eagle Bay has about a half dozen hike in primitive campsites scattered around the lake. A few years back I spent the evening watching a super-moon rise over the hills. 
It was beautiful!

Thendra and the Adirondack Scenic Railway station

Almost back home I pass over the end of Oneida Lake as I skirt around and under the SYR Mode C airspace.

Passing Onondaga Lake I see one lone sailboat from the OYC out on the lake. From the red hull I think this must be Tom in his Flying Scot


Back to Marcellus where trees are still mostly green.

I would like to make another flight up to Old Forge and maybe beyond to Placid in the next week or so and spend more time taking more pictures and exploring some different places along the way.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi George, Cathy Goodfellow here! Just viewed your message. Beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Hi George, Cathy Goodfellow here! Just viewed your message. Beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing!